Swiss chard is a very nutritious cold weather lettuce. It’s commonly seen sautéed, but it can be eaten raw as well.
Loaded with antioxidants, chard helps slow the aging process, prevent neurodegenerative diseases, heart disease, stabilize blood sugar, excellent for digestion, bone and eye health. To add to that, it can help prevent cancer.
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, torn to bite-sized pieces
- 1 Orange, cut into pieces
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans
- 8 Spanish olives
- 1/4 cup chopped pancetta, cooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Place all the salad ingredients into a large bowl, and toss gently.
Mix dressing together in a small bowl, and pour over salad. Toss.
Yields: 2 servings