My older son and I love almonds. So, when I received my newsletter from Odense, and saw this recipe, I had to try it. We omitted the pistachios and used almonds instead.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-7 oz. box of Odense almond paste, grated
- 1/2 cup almonds, salted
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons Orgeat or almond liqueur
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the sugar slowly, beating well with each addition. Add the yolks one at a time, then the vanilla.
- Sift the flour and fold gently, with the salt into the butter mixture. Wrap dough in waxed paper and chill for 30 minutes.
- Add the grated almond paste, almonds and sugar to a food processor and pulse until like sand. Add the butter and liqueur and mix until smooth.
- Roll out cookie dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Using a scalloped 1 3/4 inch round cookie cutter, make cookies and place on the cookie sheet. Leave space in between each cookie.
- Bake 10 minutes. Remove when golden around the edges. Cool on a wire rack.
- Sandwich cookies with some filling.
Yields: 36 sandwiched cookies