- 2 sticks salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 3/4-cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2-teaspoon baking powder
- 4 hard apples, Macoun, Gala, Granny Smith, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare one 9″ cake pan.
- Beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and continue to beat until a lighter color and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk. Beat well.
- Fold the flour and baking powder gently into the mixture. The mixture will be thick.
- Add your peeled chopped apples into a small bowl with the 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well. Place on top of the cake mixture, and press into the batter.
- Sprinkle the top with the almonds.
- Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out free of batter.
Yields: 8 servings