For moist delicious scones, every time.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Sift the above ingredients together to remove lumps, and add air to the recipe.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and chopped
Add to the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs with some small peas in it.
1 cup fruit, chopped OR dried fruit OR chopped nuts OR a combo
OPTIONAL 3 tablespoons juice, liquor or flavoring for dried fruit
If fruit is dried, use the liquid to rehydrate by mixing together. Microwave for 1 minute, then allowing to sit for 5 minutes. Drain the liquid. Pat dry and then toss into the flour mixture, folding gently.
If dried fruit is not being used, toss into the flour mixture and fold gently.
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons extract, essence or flavoring
Blend ingredients together.
Add to the dry ingredients until thick and very sticky.
Divide into 16 small scones or 8 large scones.
Bake at 375 for 20 minutes for the small scones, and 30 minutes for large scones.
Stays fresh, when cooled, in an airtight container for 3 days.
May be frozen up to a month. Reheat in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes.
Yields: 8 large or 16 small scones
(1) Substitute white sugar for brown sugar when using chocolate chips or coffee in the recipe.
(2) Use vegetable shortening, cream cheese or Earth Balance (a vegan shortening) in place of the butter.
(3) If wanting to add some texture, like almond flour (almond meal) or another nut-based addition, omit 1/2 cup of the flour and substitute 1/2 cup of your nut flour.
(4) When macerating the dried fruit, use a complimentary flavor. For example, use apple juice or an apple liqueur for dried apples. Use lemon zest and juice to blueberries for a blueberry lemon scone.
(5) For a savory scone, omit the sugar. Substitute the fruit with vegetables, cheese, and / or bacon.
(6) Don’t like buttermilk? No problem. Substitute with heavy cream, light cream, milk, low fat milk, skim milk or any other vegetarian substitute. Add a teaspoon of distilled white vinegar or lemon juice to the milk before mixing.
(7) Allergic to eggs or are a vegetarian? Omit the eggs and use Ener-G egg replacer OR add 1/4 cup more milk or milk substitute.
(8) Prefer gluten-free? Omit the flour and baking powder and substitute with a gluten-free baking mix.