Sure, you can take any basic scone recipe and toss chocolate chips into it. But I wanted to impress my youngest son. His favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe happens to be the Toll House recipe on the back of the bag. So, I took those ingredients and turned it into a scone!
Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, cut, cut into cubes
- 1 bag mini chocolate chips
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Sift dry flour into a bowl. Add the sugar, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar. Mix to incorporate the ingredients.
- Add the butter until the mixture has pea sized butter pieces.
- Toss in the chocolate chips, and mix thoroughly.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix. The dough will be wet and sticky.
- Make into 8 scones.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes, until the scones are golden brown.
- Cool. Serve warm with coffee.
Yields: 8 scones.