For Jane, my mother’s stepdaughter-in-law!
Serves 6 to 8
3 tomatoes, chopped
2/3 cup diced onion
2/3 cup chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
¼ cup sherry vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups tomato juice
¼ cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon horseradish
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1. Combine tomatoes, onions, celery, garlic, cucumber, bell pepper, vinegar, salt, pepper and cayenne in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.
2. Remove about half the recipe to a blender. Puree.
3. Return the puree to the chunky mixture and chill.
4. Add the tomato and lemon juices, horseradish and Worcestershire sauce.
5. Garnish with chives, red pepper, chopped cucumber, onions or celery, if you like.
Photo by Lori Maffei.