Mixed Berry Scones with Lemon
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup dried mixed berries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Zest one lemon, and set aside. Juice one lemon. Heat the juice until hot and pour over the mixed berries. Stir and allow to sit.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour. Add the sugar, baking powder, salt and zest of the one lemon. Mix thoroughly. When the berries have absorbed the lemon juice and have cooled, add to the flour mixture.
- Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like small peas.
- Mix in the egg and yogurt.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal sized scones, and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While baking, zest and juice the other lemon. Mix thoroughly with the powdered sugar, until smooth. When the scones have cooled, spread on top.
Yields: 8 scones
© 2011 Jennifer A. Wickes All Rights Reserved. No part of this document may be reproduced without written consent from the author.