I love sweets! Just ask my family! They will tell you how I have no self-control! My waistline gives it away too!
But after my first son was born, I decided I would try to find healthier ways of presenting fun food, and just present those occasions less frequently.
When my son started having lunch at school last year, I decided to make an old recipe with a new twist. Easy, fast, and the kids can help!
Toasted Oat Marshmallow Bars with Fruit and Nuts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups mini-marshmallows
- 4 cups toasted oat cereal
- 1 cup dried fruit, such as cranberries, raisins or apricots
- 1 cup blanched chopped nuts, such as almonds or walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- In a large pot over low heat, melt the butter. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Add the cereal, fruit, nuts and spices. Stir until completely coated.
- Spray a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Using wax paper, press the mixture into the pan. Allow the mixture to cool completely.
Yields: 12 servings
Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.